Manager Special Projects
We are seeking someone who is passionate about the mission, experienced in leading nonprofit programming, skilled in project management and engaging when communicating with the public, donors and interested parties about the program.
The Manager Special Projects works on special projects at the request of the Executive Director to help secure funding for the long-term sustainability of the Initiative in Colorado. This includes research, project management, communications, documentation, and analysis:
Research and Analysis
- Researches and prepares analysis of insights from surveys and other data prepared by vendors and partners
- Defines metrics and process for measuring success
- Performs research and due diligence of tools, resources and initiatives relevant to the Initiative
- Provides quantitative analysis as it relates to impact or resources
- Manages and tracks the integrated work plan, including timeliness milestones, interdependencies and other elements
- Manages overall workplan across partners and is accountable for quality and timeliness of deliverables
- Flags critical issues for problem solving or troubleshooting
- Sets the agenda and develops logistics for regular check-ins and in-person meetings
Communications and Documentation
- Creates initial drafts and execution documents for external and internal use.
- Responsible for document management processes across partners to ensure quality control of communications and historical archiving, e.g., of tools and organizations we are considering
Other tasks and responsibilities as requested or as assigned.
Top 3 priorities upon starting this position
- Develop a trusting relationship with each team member working on initiative; how they support and communicate with each other makes the team who they are.
- Quickly get up to speed on existing projects.
- Support the Executive Director in organizing and tracking big projects.
- 4-5 years of project management experience, and/or management consulting
- Passion for the Mission of the Initiative: that all Americans - especially those without 4-year degrees - can obtain employment through skills training and through development of an ecosystem and economy that defines, seeks and trains to specific skillsets.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive and lead in a small, analytically rigorous organization that values direct, honest, and respectful transfer of ideas.
- Impact-oriented and creative problem solver: possesses excellent conceptual and analytical problem-solving skills, with experience in tackling a range of strategic and operational issues. Able to bring a balance of creativity and practical business judgment to issues.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Possesses a natural instinct to seek out the next challenge and think outside constraints and get things done. Operates with a clear sense of purpose while being comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Team/office environment: start-up feel, flat hierarchy, fast-paced and focused on mission! They love to laugh! Passionate about learning (including failing and learning from those experiences).
- Office is in a beautiful, modern building located in LoDo, near restaurants, public transportation and more!
- Competitive Salary!
- Full and competitive benefits package!
- Offers a wonderful mix of independent and team-oriented work!
- This is a Direct Hire, Full-Time position
- Location: Denver, CO
- Reports to: Executive Director of Initiative
- Travel: Ability to travel within Colorado and willingness to travel out of state from time to time
How to apply
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter in PDF format as well as your responses to the below listed supplemental questions at www.scionstaffing.com/jobportal/#/jobs5237.
- Do you currently require sponsorship or will you require sponsorship in the future to work in the United States?*
- What geographic location are you hoping to work in? Do you have any geographic limitations or a radius you would like to stay within?
- What specific annual salary are you targeting in your current search?
- Why are you looking to transition out of your current employment situation into an opportunity like this?
- Why do you feel you would be a strong match for this Manager Special Projects role within the skills/training/employment arena?
- Please briefly explain your experience in program management or coordination.
Skillful, a non-profit initiative of the Markle Foundation, is dedicated to enabling all Americans – particularly those without a four-year college degree – to secure good jobs in a changing economy. In partnership with Microsoft and others, Skillful is developing skills-based training and employment practices in collaboration with state governments, local employers, educators and workforce development organizations. Skillful and its partners are working to create a labor market in which skills are valued, and people can more easily access the information and education they need to keep pace with technology’s impact on work. Skillful currently operates in two states, Skillful Colorado and Skillful Indiana, bringing investment, training, tools and innovative methods to augment local workforce development efforts. It formed and facilitates the Skillful State Network, a collaboration among 20 state governors to accelerate the development and deployment of effective skills-based practices to transform their labor markets. Skillful is grateful for support provided by Walmart, and its partnerships with the states of Colorado and Indiana, Microsoft, Lumina, Purdue University and Purdue Extensions.
About the Markle Foundation
The Markle Foundation works to realize the potential of technology to achieve breakthroughs in addressing some of the nation’s most pressing issues. Markle challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions and achieve systemic change. Today as advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle’s priority is advancing solutions towards a skills-based labor market that will enable Americans to transition to the opportunities of the digital economy. Markle’s workforce initiatives include Skillful and the Rework America Task Force. They follow Markle’s success in creating the policy and technology architecture that has enabled improvements in healthcare, national security, and access to the Internet. For more information, visit markle.org, follow @MarkleFdn and @ReworkAmerica on Twitter and read our book, America's Moment.